Let me start by saying, if you've never been to the St. Louis zoo, GO!!! Wait, if you've never been to St. Louis GOOOO. It is my favorite city. There is so much to do and so much of it is FREE. The zoo is free. Sure you can pay $11 to park, or you can park on the street in Forest Park. I would not suggest going on a Friday near the end of the school year, but we lucked into a FREE parking spot right across the entrance so there $11 parking lot. And we didn't even have to parallel park.
The zoo has changed so much since the last time we were there, probably over 10 years ago when we lived there. There is a new section called River's Edge. It is really cool. The only problem is you get in and you can't get out until you've walked the whole path. It starts out a bit slow with a windy path and lots of green stuff to look at, not many exciting animals.
But then you get to the hippo area. It's pretty much like the polar bear exhibit at the Memphis zoo. There is a big glass wall against the water so you can see the hippos swimming. How cool is that! Now think about the Memphis hippo exhibit friends. Have you ever actually seen the hippos? Yeah, I thought so. Check this out!

How cool is that!!!
The elephants also live in River's Edge. They have a lot of elephants and several big exhibits. One was throwing water over his back, but I wasn't able to get a picture of that.

And some things never change like the alligators. I don't think the one in this exhibit has moved in 10 years!

It was hotter than we expected. When we left Peoria, it was rainy and chilly so we were dressed for that. It was about 80 in St Louis. Noah was hot and he let us know. So we didn't stay too long. Went back to the hotel instead. But we went back to the zoo Sunday morning before brunch with my parents. Again it was great. We saw the new penguin exhibit. It too has glass right up the the edge of the water. This glass is chest high, so if you wanted, you could reach out and touch the penguins. We got splashed by one jumping in the water. I am sure this is a popular exhibit in the summer because it was cold in there!

How cool is that!!!
The elephants also live in River's Edge. They have a lot of elephants and several big exhibits. One was throwing water over his back, but I wasn't able to get a picture of that.
And some things never change like the alligators. I don't think the one in this exhibit has moved in 10 years!

It was hotter than we expected. When we left Peoria, it was rainy and chilly so we were dressed for that. It was about 80 in St Louis. Noah was hot and he let us know. So we didn't stay too long. Went back to the hotel instead. But we went back to the zoo Sunday morning before brunch with my parents. Again it was great. We saw the new penguin exhibit. It too has glass right up the the edge of the water. This glass is chest high, so if you wanted, you could reach out and touch the penguins. We got splashed by one jumping in the water. I am sure this is a popular exhibit in the summer because it was cold in there!
We also saw the grizzly bears. They were splashing in the water. I guess I didn't take pictures Sunday. My mom must have them all. I know you are disappointed!
Is that hippo smiling? Seriously, we should meet in St. Louis sometime for a weekend trip!
ReplyDeleteI love the St. Louis Zoo!
ReplyDelete