Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Working Girl Again
I am going to be teaching an evening class in the spring at a community college. Beginning Algebra, two nights a week. It sounds like it will mostly be adult learners (beyond typical college age who have gone back to school). I really have no idea what to expect. The head of the department made it sound like he is pretty lenient. I haven't seen the book yet. I'm a little nervous about pacing and grading and all that. But I am really looking forward to using a few more brain cells and talking about something other than super heroes. I won't make much money, probably only enough to buy some professional clothes to teach in. I wonder if I'll have to dress better than I did at my old job?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to the world of adjuncts! I teach a class one night a week and I LOVE it. Once you get adjusted, you'll love the adult interaction. I'm sure you'll do a great job. Have fun! :)
ReplyDeleteThis will be so good for you and I think you will really enjoy it. And it will get your foot in the door for the future if you ever want to teach more than one class. And yes, I imagine you will need nicer clothes than what you used to wear to work, ha!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Can't wait to hear more about this new adventure!
ReplyDeleteAt least with college age learners, you won't to deal with parents.
ReplyDeleteHow cool! This will be a welcome change from poopy diapers and toddler banter indeed.
ReplyDeleteAs for the clothes...maybe nicer, but you'll be able to get away with a lot fewer. You think high school kids notice what we wear? College kids REALLY don't care! ;)