Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Why Have We Never Done This?

put cornstarch in a bowl, add water, mix with hands. Add food coloring if you want.


What do you get? Goo! But when you squeeze it or poke it it feels hard, like plaster, but then it drips out of your hands. So cool and great for keeping a 4 year old happy. I'll let you know how long it lasts. It was pretty fun for the Mommy too.


I probably would not recommend the food coloring. We'll probably have stained hands for a week, but mixing the colors in did make it more fun.


4 comments:

  1. Oh that is fun. I used to do that with my pre-k class. You can read the Dr.Suess book and call it Ooblek to go with the story. I forget which book it is...
    Have you tried the homemade peanut-butter play-doh? It's fun and they can eat it too. And another fun thing, buy a cheap can of the foam shaving cream and spray it on your table and let them play with it and draw pictures in it. That's a good outside activity if you have a portable table of some kind. I have a bunch of ideas--2 years of pre-k and teaching elementary--I've got lots to keep my kid busy when she gets big enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I don't remember having a problem with stained hands. If you mix it all together first and then let them play with it, it might not be that bad. Also, I think I made mine more pastel colors, so that probably helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of Kristin's and found your blog through hers. Thought you would like this w/ your kiddos:

    Homemade Sidewalk Paint
    This environmentally friendly sidewalk paint takes the place of the traditional sidewalk chalk. Its also very, very inexpensive! You can make you standard shades of red, green ,yellow, and blue; or, mix and match to create other shades.

    SUPPLIES:

    ¼ cup cornstarch
    ¼ cup cold water
    6 to 8 drops of food coloring

    DIRECTIONS:

    1. Put cornstarch in a small plastic bowl and gradually stir in the cold water.
    2. Add your desired food coloring and stir.
    3. If the paint still feels too dry, just add a little more water until you get the consistency you prefer.
    4. Repeat the process to create different colors.

    This sidewalk paint washes off very easily and will not harm plumbing or plants … cornstarch is all natural and biodegradable.

    Because this paint is so inexpensive, you can use it to paint larger canvases of art compared with traditional sidewalk chalk which is quickly used up. You can also get more detail in the pictures by using different sized paint brushes.

    If you mix these in small, recycled butter tubs or other airtight containters, you should be able to keep the leftover sidewalk paint from one project to the next … assuming there is any left. If you find that the sidewalk paint has gotten a little dry, just add water to get the desired consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, it looks gooey and fun! Who cares about the stain!?

    ReplyDelete