We apparently have monsters living in our house. Noah woke up at 2 am this morning scared of them. After several attempts to get him back to bed to stay in bed, including the invention of a Monster Protection Plan (MPP) that we have, I gave up and let him sleep on the floor in our room. He went right back to sleep after that, and so did I!
Well tonight, we decide to prevent this. I am not sure if we made it worse or if it was going to happen anyway. We reminded Noah of the MPP that was preventing monsters from getting into our house. He has been saying they are locked up in their cage, so we went along with that. We told him if he stayed in his bed all night he would get a ticket in the morning which he could use to get back toys he had taken away the previous night when he didn't stay in bed.
Of course none of this works. Noah immediately comes out wanting to know what if the monsters still come. I asked him if he wanted to put the key to the monster cage under his pillow to be sure they wouldn't get out. He didn't want that. We kept trying to convince him there were no monsters that were going to get him.
After several times of putting him to bed and him coming right back out, I remember some one suggesting to me today the Veggie Tales song "God is Bigger than the Boogie Man". I remind Noah of this and ask him if he wants to sing it and pray to God to keep him safe. This seems to make him happy so we do all of this. We pray that if God sees a monsters he will squish it (complete with squishing of hands to demonstrate). by the end of the song and prayer, he is smiling and seems convinces he is okay. Back to bed.
30 seconds later he is back out again. "what if God doesn't see the monster" He sees everything he will squish it. "because God is really big? and Jesus is really big? so big his head goes through the roof?" yes bigger than everything and all the monsters. "but what if God doesn't seem them?" he will he sees everything. and around and around and around. It's now been over 30 minutes of trying to get this boy to bed.
I finally have to threaten him with a spanking if he gets out of bed. I think he has finally had enough because this time he stayed in bed. this threat doesn't always work. he must have finally given up.
Meanwhile, thankfully, Elijah is oblivious to it all.
What a story! I can see where Noah gets his imagination!! You should publish that story. Loved the MPP!
ReplyDeletePoor Mom and Dad, you must be worn out. Much easier to see the humor in the situation from this angle(been there, done that). Love you. Mom
Are you writing all this down for me??? I'm going to need advice like this soon.
ReplyDeleteI've also heard of parents using air freshner that they disguised as a monster "repellent" and they let the kids (or parents) spray it around the room before they go to bed.
looks like it's about time to move bedtime up about an hour to compensate for all the time spent corraling monsters!
ReplyDelete